Google Phone App call recording feature is first found few months ago hidden inside code. Google Phone App version 47.0.305350684-publicbeta which is available for download from Google Play Store has received much needed feature.
Phone app (Package name:
com.google.android.dialer) is default dialer in Android One phones and most of other ROMs using Android near stock version.
Now, the latest update has brought feature of call recording to public. When dialing a number, you get an extra button in the Dialer screen where recording button is located. Button will not be active until call is answered.
How to enable Google Phone app Call Recording Feature?
- Install above mentioned public beta version from Google Play Store.
- Initiate a call
- Once call is answered, press the Record button.
- For first time, you will be displayed an alert about legal precautions of recording call.
- When you confirm the alert, Google will automatically tell the second party, “This call is being recording”.
- When you finished recording, just press the stop button. Again, Google will tell the second party, “The Call recording has ended”.
For now, may be its improvement related on feedback or something bug, if you disconnect call before stopping recording, recording is not being saved. Google Phone App call recording feature is in beta and may require more work.
How to view recorded Calls on Google Phone App?
Google Phone App call recording feature recorded calls are saved in
.wav format. Once the call is recorded using above process, the Recent Calls view of Phone App will show a notification with the call with microphone icon and Recorded message.
Listen or share currently or Last recorded call for contact
- Visit Recent Call screen.
- Tap on the eligible contact where Microphone icon & recorded sign is being displayed.
- Tap to expand contact, you will see Recording Player which have three buttons for Putting in Speaker mode, Play/Pause toggle button & Share button.
Listen or Share previously recorded calls
- Visit Recent Call screen.
- Tap on Contact name. This will bring more option related to Phone App. Choose History button.
- Once you are in History page, this will display all calls you have initiated to said person. If you have recorded call for any of those call, you will be able to see “listen to recording” following by Microphone icon.
- Click on the Listen to recording link and Player will be appear with same three buttons. Putting in Speaker mode, Play/Pause toggle button & Share button.
If you have not received update or want to try Google Phone App Call Recording feature, you can update your Google Phone app & Join Beta program to get latest beta directly from Play Store.
If you have not joined beta program or can’t find app in Google Play store, here is the download link.
Warning: This app will not work on any other devices those are using Custom Rom and using their custom Phone App.